Saturday, November 13, 2010

Blood & Flowers by Penny Blubaugh


I'm including the summary from the publisher, rather than my own because I really like this one and It's very spoiler free. 

Three years ago, Persia ran away from her drug-addict parents and found a home with the Outlaws, an underground theater troupe. With time, this motley band of mortals and fey, puppeteers and actors, becomes the loving family Persia never had, and soon Persia not only discovers a passion for theater but also falls in love with one of the other Outlaws. Life could not be more perfect. Until an enemy makes an unfair accusation against the group and forces them to flee their world and hide in the neighboring realm of Faerie. But in Faerie, all is not flowers and rainbows. With bloodthirsty trolls, a hostile monarchy, and a dangerous code of magic, the fey world is far from the safe haven the Outlaws had hoped for....

The Good: Let me start with saying I have never read a book where the cover so accurately described the writing style. Not the topic or anything, because obviously a cover should go with that, but the way the author describes the events, characters, and setting. This cover would attract me from across the store. Something with the vibrant colors and the overall just oddness of it. And the book is very much like it. Blubaugh writing style is very unique and kind of difficult to explain. All I know is that I loved it. She used these lists to explain things in a tastefully efficient way. And the ending of this one is worth it so stick it through.

The Bad: I cannot even begin to describe the weirdness of this book. This really is about puppets. And I mean the whole book. While this weirdness is not a bad thing, it is something to be weary of. Just don’t expect a novel with action and adventure. Expect puppets, crazy faeries, and gay men. But enjoy this one because it is worth your time and I think most people will enjoy the weirdness. 

Ugly Updates: Blood and Flowers comes out on March 1, 2011. As for a sequel, I don't think there will be one, there is no info about it but you never know. Blubaugh also has a book, Serendipity Market, that is out. Blubaugh site is poorly updated but you can check it out anyway for her bio, blog, and books she's read. Also, follow her on Twitter


Keep Reading, 


1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this--going to check it out!

    Also, just wanted to let you know I gave you a blogger award!

    http://stephanieoakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-won-award-i-won-award.html

    ReplyDelete